Beets are a bright winter root veggie that can add a splash of color and a sweet, earthy flavor to any dish. They're very popular in salads, but this taco recipe changes things up a bit and pairs the sweet beets with a tangy chili mayo. The great thing about this recipe is how versatile it is. Feel free to substitute other vegetables or meat in, change up the cheese, or use your own spice combination for the sauce! This recipe is bound to become a healthy staple in your kitchen.
Roasted Root Vegetable and Chicken Tacos
For the filling:
- 2 large beets (peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces)
- 3-4 large carrots (peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 lbs chicken thighs
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 6-8 flour tacos (warmed)
- 1 avocado (thinly sliced)
- 4 oz feta (crumbled)
- cilantro (for garnish)
You can pick up the beets and carrots in this month's Produce Bag!
For the mayo:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Place vegetables on a baking dish in a single layer, drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat, then bake for 20-25 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- While the veggies are cooking, heat two Tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle the chicken thighs with salt and pepper, then transfer them to the skillet. Cook them on each side until they're nicely browned. Allow to cool slightly, then shred using two forks.
- When chicken and vegetables are cooking, make the sauce by combining mayo, spices, and lemon juice in a bowl and whisk together. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Assemble tortillas with a layer of veggies, chicken, avocado, and feta. Top with the chili mayo and the cilantro.
Makes four servings.
Photo creds and recipe inspiration go to Things I Made Today!